Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Legal Psychiatric Drugs - A Lethal Weapon

Hi, my name is Dan. I started this blog today to share a story about how psychiatric drugs almost killed my son, Jason. Why share this? Because I learned through this experience that most people rely on the medical professionals to decide what's best for them and in fact, these professionals don't have a clue! With Jason's permission, I want to tell our story to raise the awareness level for anybody touched by depression and other mental illnesses.

It doesn't seem to matter who you talk to these days, everybody knows of someone prescribed to anti-depressants. An alarming 10% of the US population is prescribed anti-depressants in a given year, according to an article at the following link: http://www.webmd.com/depression/news/20090803/antidepressant-use-nearly-doubles. The article goes on to say that these prescriptions have almost doubled since last year!

Do you really believe that the need to medicate ourselves for depression has actually doubled in a year? Do you think the increase in advertising of these products in the past few years has conditioned many of us to accepting these drugs as a common solution? Not!

Please don't get me wrong on this subject. Psychiatric drugs of all kinds have been around for many years and have helped a lot of people who had few options. I know people who have been saved of unimaginable problems with the help of their family doctors and/or psychiatrists. However, I believe these drugs are wrongly prescribed to the majority of those taking them.

My son, Jason was a teenager growing into a young adult with the problems and challenges experienced in this phase of life. He was prescribed with a mild dosage of anti-depressants by our family doctor and this was the start of a 2 year hell for Jason and his family. Our story will be shared as time permits. Stay tuned!


6 comments:

  1. Very Interesting Dan. I'm looking forward to reading about your journey. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Danny. Thank you so much for this. It means so much to me that you have created this Blog and that you are willing to share your story. I am sure you will touch many people's lives and help in so many ways. I look forward to following you and hearing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since learning that Jason was better off with less medication, I have heard of many people who, like Steve's niece, got healthier when the medication was reduced. It amazes me that the drug companies can advertise these meds the way they do! Thanks for your comments Louise!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dan, this is a wonderful thing you are doing for your family, and many people who need to hear this message. I am very proud of you and we continue to pray for your family. Take Care, Jan

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for your openness,
    I am looking forward to reading more as my time permits~Jill Habdas

    ReplyDelete